This is a super simple and delicious pasta to make for a dinner party and the local mushrooms you source will surely be a talking point over and above the low carb, gluten free, vegan meal you decided to whoo your guests with.
Ingredients to serve 4.
- 1 Head of Cauliflower broken into pieces for grilling.
- 1 Red Onion finely diced.
- 2 Cloves of garlic finely diced.
- 2 Handfuls of assorted locally foraged/sourced Oyster Mushrooms. (I mixed yellow & pink varieties.)
- 1 Tbsp dried mushroom herbs (parsley, red pepper flakes, tarragon, ginger, thyme and rosemary.)
- 1 Tbsp dried mixed Italian herbs (oregano, thyme, sweet basil, parsley, sage, black pepper and bay leaves.)
- 1/2 Cup Olive oil.
- 1/2 Cup of nutritional yeast.
- 1 Pack of Spaghetti / Fettuccini (gluten free if desired).
- 1 Cup vegetable broth.
- Handful of fresh Origanum, finely diced for serving.
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard.
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 1/4 Water.
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Pre-heat oven to grill. Place cauliflower onto a roasting pan with half the oil and sprinkle with Italian Herbs, salt and pepper. Allow to chargrill for about 5min.
- Chop the mushrooms into desired lengths and finely dice half the garlic and 3/4 of the red onion.
- Bring a suitable deep pan to heat with a tbsp of olive oil and add the onions, allowing them to sautè on a medium heat for about 3-5min until translucent.
- Remove cauliflower from the grill. Sprinkle half the nutritional yeast over it, turning and coating as much as possible then return to grill for another 5min.
- Now add turn up the heat and add the garlic, mushrooms, mushroom herbs, vinegar and slowly add the water to prevent the mixture from burning or going dry.
- Remove cauliflower from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Lower the heat, stir in the mustard and allow to simmer for 10min.
- Add the cooled cauliflower to a food processor with the remaining raw 1/4 onion, remaining raw garlic. Now pour some of the veg broth over the cauliflower’s grill pan to scrape up the flavours and decant it into the food processor with the remaining nutritional yeast.
- Blend to a smooth sauce adding salt and pepper and more mustard to taste.
- Bring a pot of boiling water to boil with a tbsp of oil and a touch of salt. Once boiling, add the pasta and allow to cook to al dente.
- Place the cauliflower Alfredo sauce into a sauce pan on a low heat to keep warm. (*note this dish is beautiful as a cold summer pasta salad too if you wish.)
- Prepare to plate. Place the warm pasta as the base, followed by the mushroom mixture followed by the Alfredo sauce, top with fresh origanum and sprinkle with a dash of vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast.
- Serve with a fresh green salad.